Tips for cycling tours
What you can expect to find on this page
We suggest that in regard to poor parts on the bike you should always carry a few important tools with you.
- 2mm allen key (male/female connectors, cable pulley screws)
- 2.5mm allen key (twist shifter securing screws)
- 3mm allen key (drain screw)
- 5mm allen key (securing bolts for torque arm/chain tensioner)
- 8mm wrench (for turning the shifting rod)
- 15mm wrench (for axle nuts where applicable)
- Chain lubricant and grease
- Torx TX20 (all other bolts of the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14)
- Oil change kit (Art. #8410)
- Sprocket tool (Art. #8501)
- Spare chain and sprocket, spokes and shifter cables
- Internal gear mech: spare hub cables (Art. #8271) or with a quick-change axle ring (after Serial Number 25300) Hub cable Easy Set (Art. #8573) or the complete axle ring set (Art. #8572)
Several repairs can be improvised in emergency situations
Breaking of a hub cable (internal gear mech):
Remove axleplate and cable pulley, then use an 8mm wrench to select a suitable gear (e.g. gear #7). Riding further is now possible using this one gear.
Breaking of a shifter cable (internal gear mech):
Pull the hub cable until a suitable gear is found (e.g. gear #7). Riding further is now possible using this one gear.
Male or female connector lost or damaged (internal gear mech):
Join the hub cable and shifter cable together using an electrical terminal block.
Breaking of a shifter cable (external gear mech):
Remove the cable box and use an 8mm wrench select a suitable gear (e.g. gear #7). Riding further is now possible using this one gear.
Safety ring (and pin) of the quick release on the torque arm (where applicable):
Use an M6 nut and bolt or improvise by using binding wire.
Loss of oil:
Loss of oil through sweat oil or the light leakage of oil through the seals is harmless. Therefore, travelling further until the next scheduled oil change (every 5000kms or once per Annum) is not harmful to the gear-unit. See point "oil leakage" in chapter Fault Diagnosis.