32/36 spoke SPEEDHUB wheels are typically far stronger than their derailleur counterparts. The strength is approximately equal a 48 spoke tandem wheel of the same diameter.
The SPEEDHUB spoke flanges are symmetrically positioned which places the rim directly in the center of the shell. Spokes on both sides of the wheel are therefore the same length and rest at the same angle which enables them to be tensioned equally.
Use of the correct spokes is imperative to ensure the strength and longevity of the final wheel. Diameter and length are not the only dimensions that need checking - it is especially important to also ensure the neck/J-bend is the correct length
Correctly laced SPEEDHUB wheels are more than capable of surviving thousands of kilometers use, through all manner of conditions. It is critical to select the correct materials and follow the instructions carefully, to ensure your wheel is laced as well it possibly can be:
- Never use more than a 2 cross lacing pattern when lacing the wheel
- Ensure flange rings are mounted
- We recommend the use of custom Sapim Race spokes, available directly through Rohloff partners
- Ensure the min. spoke tension is upheld (1000N with air-filled tires)
- Follow the wheel lacing instructions carefully