Twist shifter does not turn freely
Cable tension is too high
- Reduce the shifter cable tension, see Owners Manual "Service" 2.
Check the internal gear mech:
- Open the bayonet connectors and (holding a cable in each hand) pull the cables in turn.
- They run smoothly, see points 2 - 6.
- They do not run smoothly, see point 7.
Check the external gear mech:
- Select gear #14. Remove the cable box just enough so that the twist shifter can be turned without force and the cables keep their normal routing bends. Turn the twist shifter back and forth.
- It does not turn smoothly, see points 2 to 6.
- It turns smoothly, see point 8.
- Shifter cables worn, dirty or damaged
- Incorrect shifter cables fitted (not orginal Rohloff)
- Cable routing has too many bends or kinks
- Inner nylon liners have penetrated into the twist shifter or the cable box (due to a false fitment)
Fit new shifter cables:
- Internal gear mech, see Owners Manual "Mounting" 7.2
- External gear mech, see Owners Manual "Service" 2.
Twist shifter rubs against the grip itself
- Leave a small gap between the twist shifter and the grip or insert a teflon washer between the two parts.
Hub cable broken and frayed
Check the shifter cables:
- Loosen the concertina tubes at the hub and pull them up towards the bayonet connectors. Check the condition of these cables in gear positions 1 and 14. If the hub cable is damaged, it will need replacing:
- One-piece axle ring, see Owners Manual "Repairs" 1.1
- Quick-change axle ring, see Owners Manual "Repairs" 1.2
Gear transfer box (external gear mech) is bent
- Replace the gear transfer box
- Removal, see Owners Manual "Repairs" 1.1
- Mounting, see Owners Manual "Service" 5.3
Hexagonal peg of the external gear mech does not turn freely (due to corrosion)
- Place an 8mm wrench over the hexagonal peg of the external transfer box. When using the wrench to switch gears, the changing of gears must have a light and positive feel. If not, remove the external transfer box. Regrease the hexagonal peg and the sprockets C of the external shifter box (Owners Manual "Service" 5.3).